Professional Communication is a comprehensive book on effective communication skills specifically designed for the undergraduate students of engineering at the UP Technical University.
Adopting a direct, functional, and practical approach, the book presents an exhaustive treatment of the principles and advanced forms of technical communication. Both oral and written forms of technical communication are covered. It focuses on the development of skills in speaking, writing, reading, listening, and summarizing, and also covers the basics of English grammar and vocabulary. In addition, key topics such as, basic official correspondence, report writing, and paragraph development are covered. Also included are the major differences between a research paper, dissertation, and thesis, along with useful tips for writing them. With its up-to-date coverage and practical orientation, the book would prove to be an extremely useful text for students, while also serving as a ready reference for day-to-day communication.
Designed for the undergraduate students of engineering at the UP Technical University.
- Demonstrates presentation styles and layouts for written communication
- Contains numerous examples and practice exercises
- Provides model test papers based on the latest UPTU question paper
- Contains appendices on common usage errors, punctuation and capitalization, commonly misspelt words, acronyms and abbreviations, as well as British and American vocabulary
- Online Resource Centre: The following resources are available to support the student and faculty using this text:
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Basics of Technical Communication
2. Barriers to Communication
3. Technical Vocabulary
4. Sentence Construction
5. Paragraph Development
6. The Art of Condensation
7. Business and Official Letters
9. Technical Proposals
10. Research Paper, Dissertation, and Thesis
11. Effective Presentation Strategies
12. Value-based Text Readings
Model Test Papers
Meenakshi Raman Ph.D., is Group Leader, Humanities and Management, at the BITS Pilani, Goa Campus. She has several years of teaching experience and has taught English and communication at various levels. She has co-authored three other books in the area of communication and has several articles to her credit.
Sangeeta Sharma Ph D., has several years of teaching experience. She is currently teaching courses on communication at BITS, Pilani, and has published several articles on communication.